November 04, 2011

Radically Free... what does that mean?

WOW!  I really wonder what it does mean... to be free, that is--radically free!  I don't know what it looks like or how it feels.  I believe I've had glimpses of it in my life, but I don't think I have ever truly experienced actual freedom.  This is my journey to that promise of abundant life that Jesus made.  I want the liberty that is found only in the Truth.  But sometimes the truth hurts!

The Webster's Dictionary defines radical as drastic or sweeping; extreme; favoring or resulting in extreme or revolutionary changes.  Free is defined as not imprisoned or enslaved; at liberty; not controlled by the obligation or the will of another.  So radical freedom (in my opinion and understanding) is therefore an extreme, revolutionary change to freedom and liberty.  To such an extreme that no person or thing has control over me. Truth, God's truth, THE Truth is supposed to set us free.

It is a scary journey.  The mystery of finding freedom in truth is that we have deceived ourselves for so long, we don't really want the truth.  It is hard to look at the facts, as they really are... to look at myself, truly look at the real me... and want to face the truth that is there.  Once faced, it requires action.  I must do something about the truth that I see.  Either I must continue in the truth, often alone and against the flow, or I must change the truth to fit what I want to keep believing and doing.  (Which then changes the "truth" into a lie.)

My purpose in this blog is to chronicle my journey toward being radically free; offering, perhaps, some connection of spirit, some part of my story that resonates with you.  This is with the hope of helping you to seek your own radical freedom.  I do not know how this journey will end, nor what kind of adventures I will face on the journey..... but I'm excited about it!

Is this radical thinking?  You bet!!!  And I intend to live radically free from here on.  It will be a process.  No change, however small, happens overnight.  With radical changes.... there is a lot of unlearning to do, before the new "free" way can be learned.  There is also a lot of hurt that must be uncovered and dealt with.  Digging for truth will make us question: Who am I?  Why am I the person I am? Why do I believe what I do? Is there another way, a better way?  What is my purpose in this life?  How can I change, or should I change? Why does it hurt so much to look at me as I really am, faults and all?  If I can't control my environment, how do I get free and stay free?

Freedom starts with truth.  In the Bible, Jesus declared that "I [Jesus] am the way, the TRUTH, and the life" (John 14:6), and He told the Jews "ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32).  Jesus is the Living Word of God, the truth, and in Him is radical freedom.  "If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed." (John 8:36)  

If you wish to be radically free, then start by seeking the truth.  Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life and in Him alone is complete, extreme, drastic, sweeping liberty!  This freedom will not be completely realized in this life, on this earth... but there is great peace and freedom in understanding the truth and working toward an eternity of being Radically Free!

No comments:

Post a Comment